Sunday, July 19, 2015

Am I Done with DSLRs?

I’m having a strange experience today (to put it mildly).  As many people know, I got an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk II plus three Olympus primes a couple of months ago for various reasons (I discuss the decision here - http://phoser.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-dslr-users-switching-perspective-on.html). Since then, I have used the E-M5II exclusively for street and family photography (along with an iPhone, of course), and I have become rather attached to it.  My original plan was to eliminate Nikon lenses that I don’t use frequently, but to keep the D600 along with my gems – 85/1.8G, 28/1.8G, 70-200/4, and 200mm f/4 AF Micro.  I thought I might use them for “serious” photography outings when I needed the best quality, and also keeping the Nikon gear is a hedge against future Nikon mirrorless bodies that are compatible (plus I can use the lenses on the Olympus with an adapter quite effectively).

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I had enough confidence in the Olympus to send my Nikon D600 back to the factory for the sensor dirt recall (Nikon replaces the shutter and cleans the body for free).  Two days ago, it came back, and I decided that I needed to test it, so I mounted my beloved 85/1.8G and tried a few family photos.  Such a crushing disappointment!  I am absolutely SHOCKED at how alien the Nikon body is in my hands after only a couple of months.  The muscle memory is there, but somehow it all feels foreign.  The viewfinder – GHASTLY!  It is so dark and unclear compared to an EVF, and I can barely find the AF point.  Where is my review?  Where is my live histogram?

The gloriously ergonomic Nikon grip feels bulky, uncomfortable, and foreign, and the rubber cover that I loved so much for the grip feels clammy and sticky, and truthfully, much too big for my girly hands.  The weight feels oppressive (granted, that would go away quickly), but the bulk immediately looked laughable to my family.  They were kind of shocked that I used to use a camera like that all the time!


This is a pretty fair comparison.  Olympus 45/1.8 (90mm effective focal length) vs. Nikon 85/1.8G.
But the shooting experience was WORSE!  Focus, which is silent and immediate on the Olympus (with those glorious primes; don't try a toy kit lens!), is hesitant, hunting, slow, and LOUD on the D600!  Was all that AF-S noise there before???  I used to think it was silent.  But nothing prepared me for releasing the shutter — K-CLANK!  Echoing off the surrounding walls...  Did I really like that sound before (and actually think it was QUIET)?  Sleeping babies lurch in fear (this is actually true), and the crowd immediately swings around to find the offending shooter (now I understand the term “shoot” even more!).

But, finally, the results.  :(  Where did my wonderful In-Body-Image-Stabilization go?  Suddenly, 1/200th second isn’t fast enough for 85mm.  Focus is off.  Why is my viewfinder bouncing around unsteadily?  No wonder AF isn't critically accurate!  And, wait a minute, if I push the shutter speed up enough, my ISO is pegged at 6400!  Nothing is actually critically sharp.  And, was that CA always there with the Nikon primes???

OK, let me redo AF fine tuning and boost my technique back up to steady the 85...  Nope.  Still not critically sharp.  :(

I am truly shocked and don’t know how to feel about my urge to turn my back on a very old friend.  Yes, my amazing high-res FX high-DR files are still there.  Yes, I know I could take a better landscape image in tough conditions using best technique.  Yes, zooming to 100% with the E-M5 II files when the ISO boosts up to 3200+ is disheartening.  Even now, would I use the Olympus for a paid job if I did such a thing?  No way.  Not a chance.  I would rent a D750.  But, still, I’ve fallen out of love, and I did LOVE the D600 and those core three lenses – more than any other camera I’ve ever touched.  Now, I’ve strayed, and nothing will ever be the same.  I can’t really allow myself to love the Olympus gear.  After all, they are more likely than not to be out of business a year from now, and m43’s future is far from secure (except for video, for which I have no interest so far).  Sure, small size/weight may just be a fad because of my current needs, and mirrorless is absolutely no size/weight/cost advantage if you buy pro FX gear (Sony) or even DX (Fuji).  Oh, and good m43 gear is also ridiculously expensive.  :(

But, for now, I’m full-on midlife crisis with the Olympus.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment